Sunday 29 August 2010

The Mammoth Movie Meme: Day 30



Day 30 - Saddest death scene - Leonard Bast (Samuel West) in Howards End (1992)

In James Ivory’s magnificent film of Howards End (1992), the death of Leonard Bast (Samuel West) feels as swift and brutal, as shocking yet inevitable, as it does in the novel. Still, for me, the moment that moves the most occurs a few seconds before the death itself, when Leonard steps into Howards End for the first (and last) time, and sees Margaret (Emma Thompson). “Miss Schlegel, Mrs. Wilcox, you’ll have forgotten me.” “No, Mr. Bast, I have not forgotten you.”

2 comments:

  1. a goos choice..... but I will always have to go for the death that scarred me for life....

    jennifer Jones.......swandiving out of the scenic elevator in TOWERING INFERNO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you sought treatment for your TOWERING INFERNO obsession? ;)

    ReplyDelete